This venerable and honored pioneer of Antrim county is a veteran of the Civil war and in the “piping times of peace” has ever shown the same fidelity, loyalty and earnestness of purpose which so signally characterized his course while a soldier on the battlefields of the greatest of all internecine conflicts, the war of the Rebellion. He has been a resident of Antrim county since 1869, and is thus numbered among the oldest living pioneers of this section of the state, while he has done his share in the great work of development and aided the march of progress, while he has not been denied that success which is the just reward for years of earnest endeavor.
Mr. Weaver was born near Newton, now known as Elmira, Chemung county, New York, on the 19th of February, 1825, and will thus have reached the age of four score years by the time this work is published. He is a son of Henry and Polly (Gardner) Weaver, both of whom were likewise native of the old Empire state, where the latter passed her entire life. The father, when well advanced in years, removed to Wisconsin, passing the closing* years of his life in the home of our subject. Of the six children in the family none but the subject are living, and three of the sons rendered yeoman service in defense of the Union during the Civil war.
Peter S. Weaver was reared to manhood on the old homestead farm in Chemung county, New York, and his early educational advantages were such as were afforded in the common schools of the locality and period. He continued to reside in his native county until he removed to Wisconsin, locating in Manitowoc county, where he was engaged in engineering at the time of the outbreak of the rebellion. In response to President Lincoln’s call for troops, he enlisted, in 1862, as a private in Company K, Twenty-first Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, with which he continued in active service two years and eight months, having been disabled by a severe wound in his right elbow and having* been on this account granted his honorable discharge in 1863, at which time he was in the city of Chicago. His regiment was assigned to the Western Army and served under General Rosecrans, and he participated in a number of the spirited battles in which that division of the federal armies took part, the wound previously mentioned having been received in the battle of Perryville, Kentucky.
After the close of his military service Mr. Weaver returned to Wisconsin, where he continued to be engaged in engineering until 1869, when he came to Antrim county, where he has ever since resided, having been one of the first settlers in Custer township and having here developed a farm in the midst of the primeval forest, reclaiming his land largely through his undivided labors and working earnestly and indefatigably to gain a worthy success and independence. He has not been denied this consistent reward, and in the golden evening of his life is enabled to enjoy the fruits of his long years of toil and endeavor. He has eighty acres of land, of which fifty-five are under cultivation, and the buildings and other permanent improvements oh the place are of substantial order and betoken good management and distinctive thrift. In addition to raising the various cereals he has also devoted much attention to the growing of fruits of various varieties, having a good orchard, and also raising large crops of potatoes and other horticultural products. His son Milton resides with him and now has the general supervision and management of the farm. In political affairs Mr. Weaver has given an uncompromising allegiance to the Republican party from the time of its organization to the present, and is a stalwart advocate of the principles of the “grand old party.” He is a valued member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and both he and his wife have long been members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
In 1848 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Weaver to Miss Elizabeth Lathrop, who was born and reared in the state of New York, being a daughter of Alfred Lathrop, who was of French lineage. Of this union have been born seven children, namely : Henry, who is deceased; Keziah, Milford, Marian, Charles, Florence and one who died in infancy. Keziah is the wife of C. H. Kemp, a farmer of this county; Milford M. is at home and has charge of the farm; Marian is the wife of Nathan Jackson, a farmer in this county; Charles married and is a stone mason and plasterer in this county; Florence is the wife of Clarence Lane, a farmer of this county.
Source: Biographical history of northern Michigan containing biographies of prominent citizens; Indianapolis: B. F. Bowen & Company, 1905.