This article provides a brief biography of George Carson, a distinguished individual in Saginaw County known for balancing his dual roles as a farmer and a Methodist Episcopal Church minister. Born on December 21, 1826, in Harrison County, Ohio, Carson moved to Michigan in 1876, where he became a respected community figure in Richland Township. Alongside his religious duties, he contributed significantly to local governance and education, serving as a Supervisor and School Director. His household, marked by an old apple orchard, was a nurturing home to twenty-one children, showcasing Mrs. Carson’s remarkable compassion. Their contributions have left a lasting legacy in the community, embodying service and familial dedication.
by Lorenz H. Loesel
Although combining the dual occupations of tiller of the soil and a minister of the Gospel, Mr. Carson finds abundant time for the duties of both callings and is widely known as a prominent preacher and farmer of Saginaw County. His home is a pleasant residence in Richland Township, where he owns thirty-eight acres of good land, and also a fine block in Chesaning. He is the son of Samuel and Elizabeth Carson, who were of Irish descent respectively… December 21, 1826, our subject was born in Harrison County, Ohio. He was married, January 1, 1853, to Miss Catherine Moore, a native of Ohio… They had eight children… The mother of these children died on May 23, 1865… Mr. Carson was married again December 19, 1874, his wife being Catherine Ann Crane, a native of Canada… Although Mrs. Carson never had but two children of her own, she took the part of a mother to twenty-one children whom she reared to maturity, and her kindness of heart and her love for children are very well known in Saginaw County.
For five years, Mr. Carson followed farming in Ohio, from where he removed to Michigan in January 1876, settling in Brady Township. After making it his home for eight years, he moved to Richland Township and settled on section 13. In religious belief, Mr. Carson and his estimable wife are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which denomination he has often officiated at funerals and marriages. Mr. Carson has served as Supervisor of Brady Township for two years, and of Richland Township, for four years. He is interested in educational affairs and has served as School Director.
The records and other biographies indicate that Rev. Carson was a man of varied talents. He served his community as a public official, took an active part in the schools of his community, and served as a spiritual leader in the Methodist Church. His home was located several hundred feet south from the south line fence of the Richland Township Cemetery… The house was built on a sand knoll. The outline of the foundation is still visible. An old apple orchard marks the site of the approximate location of the Carson home. His life and devotion to duty left a deep impression on this community. Mrs. Carson’s love for her family is a living monument to the memory of this venerable person.